The history of First Bank stretches back more than a hundred years, when the bank first opened under the name Peoples National Bank of Strasburg in 1907. Two decades later in 1928, the bank moved into a new office building on the corner of King and Holliday streets, becoming known as First National Bank of Strasburg. A local paper at the time stated the new name was selected to “give the bank more prestige and publicity,” helping to create a strong presence in the eyes of residents and newcomers to the community.
For the next 66 years, the bank’s name remained First National Bank of Strasburg. Then, in 1994, the bank converted from a national bank to a state bank and adopted its new name, First Bank.
Today, First Bank continues to operate as an independent community bank in the Northern Shenandoah Valley as a fully owned subsidiary of First National Corporation, both of which are headquartered in Strasburg, Va.